Sunday, October 27, 2013

On Happiness

“Don’t ever put your happiness in someone else’s hands. 
They’ll drop it. They’ll drop it every time.” 
—  Christopher Barzak

I hadn't ever thought of anything like this. (Maybe one day I'll be able to coin my own inspirational thoughts that people will blog about, or post in Facebook statuses or on Twitter, but not today.) I am the only person who is in control of my happiness, which makes sense. When I depend on others to "make" me happy, I'm usually not. I can be happy because of other people, but they don't control my happiness. 

3 comments:

  1. It's a tough balance, for sure, letting people in but not handing everything over. I don't know if you're into Madeline L'Engle, but she talks a lot about this ... she calls it "showing your clay feet."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love that quote, Kaitlin. madamonet is right, it's a tough balance for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hardest lesson I have yet to fully learn! If you can share happiness with others, all benefit; you just have to keep in mind that you are fully responsible for your happiness. It's a wicked hard balancing act (for me at least).

    ReplyDelete