Monday, September 30, 2013

Neil Gaiman is quite possibly my favorite person at the moment...

...although since my favorite person at the moment is entirely dependent on my current mood, this could change later tonight or next week or whenever. I'm not too worried about it, because I think there are lots of people out there who could be even better than Neil Gaiman and I want to give those people equal amounts of dedication. But I'm getting off topic.

Neil Gaiman is probably most known for writing the graphic novel The Sandman, which was published by DC Comics, as well as his novel American Gods and Coraline, which was turned into a movie. I'm not very familiar with The Sandman or American Gods, but I read Coraline when I was in middle school, before it was turned into a movie. I see a lot of Neil Gaiman quotes on Tumblr, so I'm going to post some of them here:

Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.

Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. (From Coraline)

I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not. ... I believe that mankind's destiny lies in the stars. I believe that candy really did taste better when I was a kid, that it's aerodynamically impossible for a bumble bee to fly, that light is a wave and a particle, that there's a cat in a box somewhere who's alive and dead at the same time (although if they don't ever open the box to feed it it'll eventually just be two different kinds of dead), and that there are stars in the universe billions of years older than the universe itself. I believe in a personal god who cares about me and worries and oversees everything I do. I believe in an impersonal god who set the universe in motion and went off to hang with her girlfriends and doesn't even know that I'm alive. I believe in an empty and godless universe of causal chaos, background noise, and sheer blind luck. I believe that anyone who says sex is overrated just hasn't done it properly. I believe that anyone who claims to know what's going on will lie about the little things too. I believe in absolute honesty and sensible social lies. I believe in a woman's right to choose, a baby's right to live, that while all human life is sacred there's nothing wrong with the death penalty if you can trust the legal system implicitly, and that no one but a moron would ever trust the legal system. I believe that life is a game, that life is a cruel joke, and that life is what happens when you're alive and that you might as well lie back and enjoy it. (from American Gods)

There are so many fragile things, after all. People break so easily, and so do dreams and hearts. (from Fragile Things: short fictions and wonders)

All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want. But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them. (From American Gods)

You get what anybody gets - you get a lifetime. (From The Sandman)

I hope you will have a wonderful year, that you'll dream dangerously and outrageously, that you'll make something that didn't exist before you made it, that you will be loved and that you will be liked, and that you will have people to love and to like in return. And, most importantly (because I think there should be more kindness and more wisdom in the world right now), that you will, when you need to be, be wise, and that you will always be kind.

I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something. So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life. Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it. Make your mistakes, next year and forever.

3 comments:

  1. The long quote from American Gods is amazing! So very perfect. I might just have to read that book now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read it yet either, but it's definitely on the list. Maybe during winter break :)

      Delete